Sunday, March 13, 2005

Home, Happy, and Overwhelmed

It's been a week since my last post, and what a week that's been. I began my re-entry into the "real world" with a wonderful visit to Monterey, including a hike, a potluck, and three worship services. Thanks to Kate and Karen and everyone else for the loving welcome home. During the hike, the cameras were rolling as I answered questions about my experiences. You can find out more about seeing the streaming video of this "interview" next weekend (18 - 20 March) here.

I got home to Virginia on Tuesday night, to my two sweet children and wife greeting me at the airport. Thanks to a new rule, the TSA allows families of returning military members to greet them at the gate. Remember when that was the norm? It was so great to get off the plane and have my son and daughter run up to me and jump into my arms.

The five days since returning have been wonderful, but almost too much in many ways. There is so much to see and do - and so much freedom - that I feel overloaded at times and just want to hide. I continue to find refuge in writing my daily pages, meditation, and my guitar. One thing I have NOT kept up with is writing for my blog. I wonder if those of you who haven't seen me in California or Virginia might be feeling neglected - if so, my apologies. Please realize that it takes a lot out of me just to function with so much more going on. I have gone from just taking care of myself (and spending nearly all my time alone) to being surrounded by family, dog, and community that wants and needs my engagement and attention.

I plan to "wrap up" this weblog within the next few weeks, whenever I can make the time to write one final post capturing the essence of my personal growth and evolution during this deployment. I hope to keep writing in a new blog - one that will focus on my life with my family and faith community. I will post a link to that once it's up and running.

Thanks to everyone who's taken the time to read and respond. It is very fulfilling to know that my ministry of words has reached so many people in so many diverse ways.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Greg! I am an old friend from the days in Yuma...Diane Fleming. I am hoping to get an email for Cynthia. She can reach me at kitadee@yahoo.com. Thanks!

1:49 PM, January 03, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home