Sunday, January 09, 2005

Who's Waving?

The following poem was originally published as “From the Shore” by poet, UU Minister, and prostate cancer warrior Ric Masten. I was reintroduced to this work in an article in UU World Magazine. To me it evokes the human condition and the perils of unmindful communication.

I ain’t waving babe, I’m drowning
going down in a cold lonely sea
I ain’t waving babe, I’m drowning
so babe quit waving at me

I ain’t waving babe I’m crying
I’m crying, oh why can’t you see?
I ain’t fooling babe, I ain’t fooling
so babe quit fooling with me

this ain’t singing babe, it’s screaming
I’m screaming that I’m gonna drown
and you’re smiling babe, and you’re waving
just like you don’t hear a sound

I ain’t waving babe, I’m drowning
going right down in front of you
and you’re waving babe, you keep waving
hey babe, are you drowning too?

oh

Ric Masten, from Let It Be a Dance: Words and One-Liners
© 2004, Ric Masten and Carmel Publishing

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home