Saturday, November 06, 2004

The Whos in the What

One of the most rewarding aspects of this experience has been the great variety of people I’ve met. I have had conversations with Marines of all ranks and occupational specialties, who hail from all around the country. Some of them are glad to be here, some are not, but all of them want to “get the job done” (whatever that means to them) and go home. Amen.

I’ve already mentioned Otis, one of my early roommates, to whom I felt some kinship in many ways. So far, he is the only other person I’ve met and talked to who is not a fervent Bush supporter (but there must be others here; remember the porta-john graffiti?). Unfortunately, he has long since departed for his FOB and I’ve only heard from him once via e-mail.

Chuckles was my roommate during most of my stay at Al Asad. He is a father of three children, a dedicated Marine officer, and a quiet sleeper (most of the time). He is also a passed-over major, but he’s been a “charter member of the Order of the Golden Oak Leaf” for a few more years than I. Interestingly, he seems not at all put out to be here, although he is set to retire next summer.

Chuckles and I have had many conversations walking to and from chow or the PX. His outlook is generally what I would call “mainstream Marine,” which means he is pro-Bush, a hunter, and a sports fan. However, he is religiously open-minded, having grown up in a Catholic family and being married to a Jewish woman. His professed religion is “troutism.” This reminded me of a friend (named Jim) who claimed to belong to the “Church of Jim.”

Here at Kalsu, my co-worker/boss/roommate is a reservist whose callsign is Hooch, a self-described “devout conservative Catholic somewhat to the right of Attila the Hun.” When he found out I am a UU, his comment was “so why do Unitarians go to church, anyway?” He is also very funny and gregarious, and the longer I know him the better I like him. He has six children, with one on the way, and seems very devoted to his family. It should be an interesting experience living and working with him.

I have also met many folks whose names I don’t remember, like the two enlisted reservists from Southern California who are in the security battalion. They left their jobs at Sam’s Club and Staples to spend 6 to 8 hours in every 24 up in a guard tower, locked and loaded, ready to repel “the enemy.” I am glad they are there. One evening I ate dinner with two young captains who are excited to be flying helicopters in combat on their first deployment. I met some young Marines from the Wing Band, who are here guarding the HQ area. They will be playing at the Marine Corps Birthday celebration next week. I heard two of them practicing their trumpets, and stopped to chat. Here at Kalsu I have talked to some Marines who go out in the surrounding towns on foot patrols, and man checkpoints on a nearby highway. They tell me that most of the locals are afraid of the insurgents and glad we are here.

The military may be a “what,” but it’s full of “whos,” each one unique and important.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home