Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Monday, 24/7

There is a saying here at FOB Kalsu: every day is Monday, and only the date changes. When you never have any days off, and the routine is the same every day, it might as well be so.

I typically get up between 3:30 and 4:30 in the afternoon, spend an hour or so writing and doing spiritual practices, then head to the gym. The gym is in a large tent, and is surprisingly well equipped for where we are. I typically ride the stationary bike or use the elliptical trainer for 30-45 minutes, and some days for an hour. I then lift weights for 20-30 minutes and call it good.

When I’m lucky, I have a nice hot shower after working out, but sometimes it’s a cold shower or, worst case, a water bottle shower. See my previous post "Simple Gifts." After getting dressed, it’s off to eat.

The best thing about my evening meal is I get to have dessert for "breakfast." Dessert is one of the best things about the chowhall here - there is almost always pie or cake, and there’s always ice cream. Most days there are healthier alternatives too, such as fruit salad and jello. One of my favorite desserts is fruit salad with ice cream on it.

The rest of the meal is not always great, but I never go hungry. This chowhall is definitely geared toward the carnivore; there are always two meat choices, and only rarely is one of them fish or seafood. I was lucky the last two days to have gotten shrimp and fish nuggets. Typically I have rice, noodles or potatoes, vegetables, and a salad. I eat a lot of beans when they have them for some protein. Eating as a "vegequarian" was much easier at Al Asad.

After dinner I either go to the "internet café" and have an online chat with my wife, or back to my tent to write in my journal, read, and relax. The last few days I have been sitting out in the beautiful moonlight, enjoying the cold crisp night air and the peaceful feeling of watching the waxing moon.

My work "day" starts at 9 PM, and I spend about the first hour getting a feel for what’s happened during the day, and if there are any changes to the night’s schedule. The helicopters that are based here, as well as the other ones that come and go, typically do most of their flying at night (it’s safer then).

I usually spend the next hour catching up on e-mail and internet news, and dealing with the comings and goings of aircraft. Depending on how busy things are, I might put in a movie at this point. Somewhere in there I eat "lunch," typically an energy bar and some fruit. I haven’t been to "mid-rats" at the chowhall yet – I have no desire to eat dinner twice.

Things are usually very quiet by 3 or 4 AM, and this is when I break out my guitar. I really enjoy having so much time to work on my playing, which will be dramatically improved when I get home. If nobody else is around I’ll even sing a little bit.

By 5 or 6, things pick up a little bit and there are reports to write, the next day’s schedule to put on the whiteboard, and a final check of the news. I wrap things up by 7, when my relief comes on. There are two people on the day shift, so I convinced my boss to shorten my hours. The 12 hour shift was about more than I could take mentally. This current routine suits me fine.

After breakfast, typically cereal, a hard-boiled egg, and toast, it’s back to my tent to read and relax outside in the sun if it’s pleasant. So far this has been about my favorite time of day, but with the waxing moon and clear nights I’m not so quick to claim that. I am in bed by 8 or 8:30, have a good day’s sleep, then it starts all over again!

See an article about Camp Kalsu and the 24th MEU.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home