Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Giving Thanks

As Thanksgiving approaches, I am struck by how much I have to be thankful for. Being deployed helps me appreciate things I took for granted at home now that I don't have them, such as seeing my family every day. I regret every missed opportunity to spend time with my wife and children. I am recommitted to making my relationships with them the number one priority in my life.

There are other things I miss and appreciate, like riding singletrack, sitting in the hot tub, going for a walk in the woods with fall leaves crunching underfoot, sitting on the deck watching the birds and playing my guitar, playing with the dog, going to church, and going to the movies!

That's not to say that there isn't a lot to be thankful for here; there are many things I appreciate every day. First and foremost is having such an excellent connection with the outside world. When I started this weblog, I had no idea if I would actually be able to keep it up to the degree I have. It is truly a gift to have Internet connectivity and e-mail here pretty much any time I want it. I have also been able to call home at least once a week, and often two or three times. It is surreal being able to talk to my kids while I'm half a world away and in a war zone. I called my mom last week and she was quite taken aback - "I've never spoken to someone overseas before!" she said. The world is truly a small place in this respect.

I am very thankful for the living conditions here. It is nice to have hot showers (most of the time), clean clothes, and be well fed four times a day if I want it. Although I'm living in a tent, it is dry and has heat and air conditioning, and I sleep on a real bed with a comfortable pillow. That's a lot better than many people in the United States, not to mention the rest of the world, have it.

Most of all I am thankful for the many relationships I have with wonderful people all around the world. Closest to my heart, although furthest away physically, are my wife, son, and daughter. They are truly the focus of my life and give it meaning and joy. I also very much appreciate the rest of my relatives and my extended UU family. Thank you for being a part of my life and allowing me to be part of yours.

If I could have one wish, it would be that wherever you are this holiday season, rejoice in being with your loved ones, family, and friends. Don't take your relationships for granted – show the people in your life you love them and they are important to you, for tomorrow may be too late.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home