Thursday, October 28, 2004

Culture Wars, Part II

Hopefully it is obvious that my comments about Marine Corps culture are generalities, and don’t apply to EVERY single Marine I know; as in any organization, there is a wide spectrum of individuals. I am trying to compare and contrast the most obvious large-scale, cultural differences between the Marine Corps and Unitarian Universalism.

Marine Corps culture is bursting with machismo – what else do you expect when a bunch of men (and very few women) are living in close quarters, carrying guns around, and “keeping the world safe for democracy?” Not to mention flying and maintaining airplanes, shooting big guns (artillery), driving around in tanks and armored vehicles, and kicking in doors and capturing “bad guys.” No room for sissies here. Don’t even think about expressing support for John Kerry or any Democrat, questioning the wisdom of President Bush and the “war on terra,” or wondering if we’re doing the right thing here in Iraq. At least not in public – in private, you might find some surprisingly thoughtful and sensitive people.

There are also some genuinely humorous aspects of this culture, especially in Marine Aviation. Take callsigns, for example. Every aviator has a callsign, or nickname, which is typically related to an aspect of his or her physiognomy or personality, a personal blunder or embarrassment, or just a play on the person’s name. For example, the short pilot from Idaho called “Spud.” The overly anal person who researches every purchase for weeks is called “Nader.” The pilot with the large nose is known as “Beak” or “Rhino.” Someone who cannot speak intelligibly on the radio is called “Mumbles.” The pilot who runs a jet off the runway into the dirt: “Baja.” It goes on and on. Woe betide the aviator who tries to select his own callsign (usually a cool one like “Maverick” or “Shooter”) – you can be sure he’ll soon be called something like “Gelding” or “Pea.” It’s funny, but it can be mean-spirited.

I have been away from the Marine Corps culture for years now, and it was a bit of a shock initially to be thrust back into it. I have never felt totally a part of this culture, and now it is interesting to be in it but not totally of it, aware of the difference, and intentional in how I relate to it. My personal growth in the last few years has given me a humble appreciation of other people and my relationships with them, and I am amazed and heartened by how much I like and admire the Marines with whom I am serving. I think many of them are misguided and misinformed about the world, and my worldview is totally different from that of the majority. But they are so wonderfully human, so dedicated to each other and the mission, that I cannot help but love them. My ministry here is to bear witness and live my values. Perhaps I can be a little bit of oil in the machine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home